Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 January 2011

Colour-blocking is my favourite fashion trend...

I've been doing it for years, but it's only recently that it's been given a name by the powers that dress.  For anyone who's unsure, 'colour-blocking' is where you wear items of clothes in any bright colours you want. The colours are usually unpatterned and always bright. 

If you're minted, demented, or on a catwalk you can look like this:



Or, in the real world, you can calm it down a touch and throw on your clothes that you sometimes fear are too bright (not possible), or don't match(that's the whole point, this time)...  And that's exactly what I did this morning.  


In defiance of the January ming, the grey skies, the ever-present threat of rain and then general dreichness of a Scottish winter, I pranced out the door in my mint bowler-style hat, and teamed it up with a lovely jewel blue jacket (a winner of a present from my mum) and a skirt-that's-really-a-top bought many moons ago in Primark.  The skirt also happens to be printed with a cutesy flower design, which is going to be all the rage for the Spring/Summer 2011.  You heard it here first.


Anyone ever hear of that girl who wore a different outfit every day for a year and posted pics on her blog?  I think it was called whatkatyworenext or something like that, and, I'm sure she ended up making some money out of it! 

Now, I'm not saying that I'm expecting the money to start flowing in, after I post a few pics on my blog, but I do like the idea of taking snaps of my outfits and sticking them up.  I have loads and loads of clothes in all kinds of colours, fabrics and patterns, and yet I find myself sticking to the tried-and-tested favourites all the time, rather than pulling something out the back of the wardrobe and thinking about how to style it up. 

Well not any more!  From now on, I'm going to have much more fun in picking out what to wear, and going for the dress I haven't worn in ages, or the jacket I never know how to wear.


Clashing patterns, coloured tights, funky shoes?  Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment